Who we are:
Chesapeake Kids is a pediatric hospice program that provides compassionate and comprehensive care to children and their families living with a life-limiting condition.
We are an interdisciplinary team of trained professionals including pediatric physicians, pediatric nurse practitioners, pediatric registered nurses, licensed clinical social workers, certified child life specialists, chaplains, specially trained counselors, volunteers, and healing arts therapists.
Our mission is to enhance quality of life, as well as to provide care, comfort, and support for children living with life-limiting illness. Care is often provided in the child’s home, surrounded by the people and things that matter most to them. We strive to make this time meaningful and positive—honoring the hopes that families continue to have for their child. We also offer respite and inpatient care at our inpatient hospice facilities.
Who we care for:
Children with a life-limiting illness including heart disease, lung disease, neurological disorders, genetic and metabolic diseases and anomalies, neuromuscular disease, cancers, and tumors. We will work with the family and the child’s physician to determine whether a child qualifies for our services. We serve children ages newborn to young adult who are living in Anne Arundel and Prince George’s Counties.
Children can continue to receive curative treatment and therapies while on hospice services. We work directly with the child’s current medical team to add an additional layer of support during an advanced illness.
What we offer:
Physical, emotional, psychosocial and spiritual support for parents, siblings and caregivers. We offer family-centered holistic care and a wide range of services designed to enhance the patient’s quality of life including:
- Pain, symptom and medication management
- 24/7 on-call support
- Nurses who are certified in pediatric care
- Education about disease progression and decision making support
- Navigation through a confusing healthcare system
- Medications, equipment and supplies delivered to the home
- Healing therapies including aroma, music, pet and touch therapies
- Memory-making activities for the entire family
- Child life services including therapeutic play, expressive art, medical play and teaching, yoga for kids, infant massage, and assistance granting wishes and dreams
- Counseling for emotional needs and grief support
- Volunteer services
- Interpretation services
- Perinatal support
Support Programs for Children & Families
- Grief support groups for children and teens
- Individual and family grief counseling
- Annual bereavement camps for children and teens
- Hope Full Holidays Support Program
- Healing Arts Workshops
- Child Loss Support Group
- Annual remembrance service for loved ones we have lost