The goal of the program is to enhance the quality of life by helping patients to:
- Find peace and comfort.
- Gain a sense of control and make choices at this stage of life.
- Make sense of difficult choices and situations.
- Heal the spirit.
- Explore and express emotions, hopes and fears.
- Communicate more easily with family members and caregivers.
- Reminisce about their lives and share memories and legacies with friends and family members.
Our program may also provide patients with quality time apart from caregivers. The Healing Arts program encompasses various modalities to respond to the unique needs of each patient and his or her diagnosis. These modalities may include:
- Aromatherapy – Essential oils and light touch offer relief and relaxation.
- Massage and Energy Therapies – Traditional massage and modalities such as reiki from certified practitioners offer complementary care and comfort.
- Therapeutic Music – Music Practitioners and Volunteers perform and create music, including the soothing sounds of reverie harp and chiming, with clients. Threshold Choirs sing for patients at their bedsides.
- Pet Therapy – Caring for Canines certified dogs, cats and their owners lighten the spirits of patients, their families and caregivers.
- Cherish Sessions – Life stories, memorials, and shared memories inspire scrapbooks, photography, videography, journaling and audio recordings.
- Fine Arts and Crafts – Painting, drawing, dramatic improvisational instruction, sculpting, knitting and sewing circles at facilities or in patients’ homes.
- Community Event Tickets – Annapolis Symphony Orchestra performances and events at the Chesapeake Arts Center and Gallery 90.
- Beautician Services – Men and women enjoy haircuts, manicures and pedicures.
- Reading and Bible Study – Books provide comfort.